Today MP and I got looking presentable and trundled ourselves downtown to the War Memorial. He looked significantly more presentable than I since he was in full dress tunic (or whatever they actually call the dang thing). There were shiny shoes and medals and the like.
I grew up in Ottawa and I've been back for 7 years as an adult and I'm pretty sure that this was the first Remembrance Day ceremony I've ever attended. There was an enormous crowd and weather-wise, it was really cold but dry. I managed not to bawl like a baby although there were a few tears and sniffling. Fortunately, I couldn't see very well. There definitely would have been more tears if I'd been able to see the Vets. We were behind the War Memorial but in front of the gun for the 21-gun salute. I jumped every time. It made me think about the Europeans who would have lived with that noise on a daily basis. I just can't imagine.
So on that note, I am going to close with a thank you to all who served and are serving. Je me souviens.
No comments:
Post a Comment