19 January 2010

I'm Ba-ack!

I have decided that with so much time on my hands now, I've got no excuse not to keep this blog up-to-date.

So, here we are, in Belgium, and wow! what a mental shift. North America (and I can only assume that the Americans are in mindset us Canadians are) is so geared toward convenience of the consumers. Big box stores where you can find everything. Stores open late and on Sundays. And the customer service. Oh my giddy aunt. Anyone who complains about customer service at home, needs to come here. Staff at home would be flogged for the behaviour store clerks here exhibit. Where was I? Oh yes, convenience. The stores here are closed by 19:00 most nights. Fridays they might stay open until 20:00. They don't generally open until 10:00. We've found an electronics superstore and one of the grocery store chains are similar to the Superstore at home but otherwise, most of the shops are little and very specialized. Much like things would have been 50 years ago at home, I imagine. Now, this is not to say that you can't function over here. Not at all. But there sure is a mental shift necessary to remember that you can't pick up  the last of the groceries on Sunday or run out in the middle of the night to fetch whatever because you can't sleep.

Shopping inconveniences notwithstanding, it is very nice to be in Belgium because it is so close to everything. In the time it takes to drive from Ottawa to Halifax, we can drive from Belgium almost all the way to Italy. We've been here five months and we've seen 10 countries so far. We decided before we left Canada that our very first European trip would be to Vimy Ridge. It was (words do it so little justice) breathtaking and inspiring. And we've been back twice so far. If you're Canadian and you're coming to Europe, it's one of those places you absolutely must see.

Well, I think I've exhausted my supply of things to talk about this morning. I'm only part way through my first coffee, after all. I will leave you with a few pictures. Enjoy!

Vimy Ridge Memorial


The statue is Canada as a young nation mourning her dead

Indoor Elephant at the Royal Museum for Central Africa

Outdoor Elephant at the Royal Museum for Central Africa


My first cross stitch finish for 2010: ABC Lessons by Lizzie*Kate

No comments: