22 February 2009

Cuba

We have returned. We spent a week in Varadero, Cuba. The weather was lovely; warm and sunny. Fun was had by all. We took a day trip on a Catamaran and another day trip into Havana. I think we both preferred the trip to Havana. Old Havana is gorgeous; so much history. We spent time on the beach lazing about in the sun and swimming. The Atlantic off Cuba is a darn sight warmer than the waters off Nova Scotia. I, of course, managed to get a wicked sunburn. Nothing like the one I got last year in Key West but lovely and lobster-like nonetheless. The hotel was nice and our maid created neat blanket/towel creatures for us pretty much each day. The food was no great shakes but we had a couple of really good meals and there was certainly no shortage of alcohol. All in all, a nice break away from the cold Ontario weather.

Check out the blue, blue sky and the gorgeous colour of the water.


You can't see it but there were some serious goosebumps on me that day. I'd forgotten how cold it can get on the water...not that I packed anything warmer than what I was wearing.


Leaving the "deserted" island where we had lunch. I say "deserted" as it was until 5 cats showed up with 80 people each on them.


A mail box - still in use - in Old Havana.


St. Chistopher's church (I think) in Old Havana.


This is in New Havana, in Revolucion Square. It's Che Guevara saying "Hasta la Victoria Siempre".


Look familiar? The Capitol building in New Havana. We forget that Cuba was essentially an American colony right up to the late 50's.


Moi - considerably warmer than the day on the Cat.


Blanket Swans


Towel Swans


This was the view from the 3rd floor of our hotel looking out towards the beach.


When we weren't on the beach, we spent a fair bit of time in an atrium and this is one of the many ficus trees surrounding it.

No comments: