01 February 2006

Transformation

I work for the Department of National Defence in Procurement. That generally means that I buy things for the military. But I buy software and doing that can lead to forgetting why it is I have a job. I have a job because of the military. If they didn't do what they do, then I wouldn't either.

Last summer, the Canadian Forces (CF) got a new Chief of Defence Staff. This new CDS certainly has a vision. I suppose they all do or did but this is the only one I've been around to see. Part of the CDS' vision was a new way of running the military.

Today, I attended the Canadian Forces Transformation ceremony. The DCDS (Deputy Chief Defence Staff) group stood down and 4 new groups stood up. The ceremony was great. It was an excellent reminder of why I do what I do: for the men and women in uniform in service of Canada.

The ceremony opened with prayers from an Algonquin poet and from the Chaplain-General of the CF. There were the inevitable speeches; which on the whole were not bad. A pipe and drum band from CFB Petawawa played and they were great. There was a WWII vet in attendance which I thought was fantastic. Overall, fun was had by all. Well, I say all, I probably only mean the civilians since all the military there were dressed up and looking kinda stiff. Regardless, it's quite a treat to see them dressed up with their medals and everything.

No comments: